Sunday, April 1, 2012

retailtherapyinsl.tumblr.com [ INVENTORY SORTING TUTORIAL]




My inventory sorting out has come to an end - and everything is organised for me now. I started this task back in November; but sometimes I felt so lost that I gave up. Thanks to Anya Ohmai's tutorial I could finally sit here and do what I had to do.
In her tutorial, she recommends starting from zero. And I totally agree with that -in fact starting from zero was the way I could do this! She gives ideas of folders categorizations and names, which quite helped me, but I would recommend you to find your own way of labeling as we all remember or categorise stuff in a different manner. I used the Urban Outfitters webpage as a reference for names too, so you should check it out to see if that is useful for you as well.
I hope this helps-motivates someone out there!


MAKING SPACE: BOXING WHAT YOU DON'T NEED NOWADAYS
First thing I did took me almost two weeks when I started. I started to go through folders I never touch (in my case, I had 2 huge Photography Equipment and House Furnies folders I don't use anymore) but I didn't want to lose. Both folders consumed a lot of space and I need to put them aside. So here comes the solution. BOX everything you don't need: go to Build (ctrl+B), select the box shape and start dragging from your inventory to the box anything you don't need. My advice is to create several boxes to separate items (I made one for House Stuff, Shapes, Skins, even packs I don't want to lose and have a backup in case I delete the item accidentally or suffer from Inventory loss!)
Once you've done with boxing, you will have in your folders the items you need to start sorting out!

BACK TO BASICS: STARTING FROM ZERO -ROUGH SORTING
I had to forget about the way I had organised things so far. I needed a new one or it woulnd't make a difference for me. So I created a new folder called ROUGH SORTING just as Anya recommends and made basic subfolders in it. Mind you, as I started putting things in the folders, new names and divisions came to my head. So as I said, this is personal, and must be made in the best way for you to remember what you have -and where.

So now you're prepared to be more specific. By this stage, you should be on a posestand and have 2 inventory windows. How to do that? Super easy! Go to the bottom of your inventory window and select the "show additional options" icon -> new inventory window.
You will only have to drag items from a window to the another one.

FROM ROUGH SORTING TO DETAILED SORTING
This will take up most of the time. Be patient. Be as specific as you can.  Following, all the categories I made and subfolders.

 #1 ACCESORIES

#2   AVATAR
#3 BODYSUITS (no inner division)

#4 BOTTOMS

#5 DRESSES

#6 FOOTWEAR
"Misc" refers to footwear I don't usually wear: stompers, rain boots, rollerskates, snow shoes)

#7 GLOVES & WARMERS, EARMUFFS (no inner division)

#8  HAIR
I had some kind of debate with myself whether as to organise hair by color or by style. Since lately I'm purchasing fatpacks or dipped hairs a lot, it had no use to keep the color division. So I re-organised all the hair folder by styles.


#9  HOSIERY
I had an accident when I was sorting out things and I deleted all my lingerie and hosiery folder =( (realised later!) so this part is under construction because I have a few items to put here now. Lesson learned: careful what you delete -.-

#10  INTIMATES
You will notice I made a "swimwear 2 pieces" folder here, and included the 1 piece swimwear items in "bodysuits" folder; as they can be worn also as bodysuits!

#11 MAKE UP
"Combos" folder refers to make up layers that include 2 or more features : lipstick+eyeliner / eyeshadow+freckles+eyeliner , etc.

#12  MISC (no inner division, includes costumes,random accesories and clothing!)

#13 OUTERWEAR
This was one of the most consuming folders. I decided to put in it items I can use as top layers or that include prim parts.

#14  SPORTY

#15  TATTOOS

#16 TOPS
This is organised considering items I usually wear as first layers and that don't include prim parts.

FOLDERS EXCLUDED
I didn't include in this big sorting out the Animations folder(I keep there poses and props)

Any question you can IM inworld (Noelita Foxdale).

0 comments:

Post a Comment